Cicero’s Tower stands on the Acropolis of Arpino. The square structure measures about sixteen meters by sixteen. The south-eastern side has been reinforced with a scarp wall, and embellished with an external balcony that leads to the entrance to the middle floor. The facade has slit windows at ground level and larger, quadrangular ones, on the upper floors.
The existence of a fortified settlement on the site of today’s Civitavecchia in Samnite and, later, Roman times, is clear from the massive defensive ring of the Cyclopean walls. The tower was probably built when the castrum was reinforced and renovated in the early years of the Angevin period (1250-60). Following the destruction of the settlements on the lower Falconara slopes, the population returned to higher ground, reviving its dominant defensive system. This most probably also involved Civitavecchia’s hill.
Località Civitavecchia, Arpino (FR)
Sabato e domenica: 10:00 - 13:00, 15:00 - 18:00
January 1, December 25
Il sito è visitabile anche dal lunedì al venerdì previa prenotazione contattando il numero +39 329 7770903