Monastery of Santa Scolastica
The Monastery of Santa Scolastica was one of the first founded by St. Benedict himself around 520, making it the oldest existing Benedictine monastery. The Cosmatesque cloister is part of the renovations it underwent in the first half of the thirteenth century. The church was rebuilt in 1770 and is one of the masterpieces of the neoclassical architect Giacomo Quarenghi.
In addition to its imposing artistic heritage, with finds and works from the 9th to the 18th century, the monastery houses the National Library, with ancient codes and incunabula, and around 100,000 volumes.
Via dei Monasteri, 22, 00028, Subiaco (RM)
6.30am to 12.15pm, 3.30pm to 6.15pm
The visit is accompanied by a guide.
Photography is allowed.
Free parking nearby.